Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Adrenaline Rush

Floyd Landis visited Borders in Pasadena today. I came early to purchase my three copies before the lines formed or they ran out. Only a few copies were displayed. We walked out and ate dinner at the Crocodile CafĂ© up the street. It was pleasantly empty and the waitress was attentive and cheerful, wondering what the rush was. Book Signing we said. Oh she nodded wisely and cluelessly. Arrived back at Borders at 6:00 pm and was surprised at the small area where they had two dozen chairs set up. More people lurked about for a few moments when the store manager said to move upstairs to a larger area. The larger area was still not large enough as there were three dozen chairs set up. The people kept coming, standing and flocking. Anywhere from 100-200 people. I was impressed with one fan’s sign. It had this real metal bicycle attached to the construction paper, stating 2006 TdF champion and a big beautiful bouquet of yellow roses for Floyd.

Perhaps it was my blue Tour de France shirt that made me look official, I noticed the crowd really quieted down when I went up front to take pictures. It was 6:45 pm. I knew Floyd would be 15 minutes late. Another store minion stated that Floyd was in the building about 7:05 pm and would be up shortly. This was retracted at 7:15 when he said there was a miscommunication before, that Floyd was on Lake Avenue and would be arriving anon. I wondered if they had calculated Los Angeles county freeway timing. Everywhere is only half an hour drive, sometimes when it is just five miles away. He arrived at 7:30 pm.

Floyd started his five minute warm up, with his prediction of David Zabriske as the Tour de France winner, well maybe he might have a come back. [We chortled in response]. Rasmussen is looking good. Valverde is looking good.

[This is total recall. Questions were combined. My apologies to the audience and the speaker.]

Q: It was a question about Lance Armstrong and if he had taken LGZR. (??) [This first question was a shocker.]

A:. This is the first time I’ve been asked that question. I have no knowledge of that.

Q: Sinkewitz question. [Questioner misquoted values].

A: I don’t have all the facts.

Q:There is an imbalance of power between the Anti Doping Agencies and the athletes. After your year long ordeal do you think the athletes are ready to change that?

A: Other cyclists don’t want to rock the boat. They [the LNDD] were willing to forge documents to fulfill our requests. I don’t see a change coming.


Q: Missed the question.

A: I only have smart fans. They have to be smart to understand the science. [We giggled.]


Q:After you win Leadville. [Cheers]

A: I need to do some serious training and the book tour is taking away time. If anyone has ridden Leadville, I need some tips. I will be riding a BMC bike. No need for full suspension on dirt roads.

Q:That phenonomal day in TDF 2006 Stage 17. [Applause! Cheers!]

…..

Q:Where’s the best place to train?

A: California. [Cheers.] It’s the best place in the world to train and cycle.

Q:Have you cycled here in Pasadena?

A: Mount Baldy. I’m from Murrietta so Palomar is also very good.

Q: Will you be riding in the Amgen Tour of California [2008].

A: I hope to, but again I don’t know the timing so I can’t approach any teams yet. In fact they should change the Tour of California from February to July. [chortles].

Audience. Heck yeah, we have a Paris California. We could start there. They could build an Eiffel Tower there as well.