Sunday, February 7, 2010

Rare Sunday Ride


Rained out of my Saturday ride, I couldn't get on the bike fast enough on Sunday morning even though it was a brisk 41F. The road was dry with patches of silty sand along the way. Everything was passable. Not many rocks. Motor traffic was light but I did get a bit of surprise when a Suburban-asaurus passed me by with eight inches to spare.



At the top of Monroe met Chris a Mechanical Engineer Grad student at Caltech. His buddies were busy comparing their power output from their Cycleops Powertap units and calculating their power to weight ratios. The clouds rolled in quietly and the temperature dropped and they as left for the ride down his one buddy graciously offered to carry everyone's jackets. I needed all of my layers and then some.



I stopped and met Richard and Curt. Richard's wife is a host at the Mt. Baldy Hut and he had tales of hiking in the roof for the hut. A two and half mile hike. Ready to go?

Frank and I crossed paths back in September when the forest was closed and I was doing short rides familiarizing myself to the ins and outs and cleats. Frank rides the San Gabriel River Trail and loops downtown before heading up Sierra Madre to Glendora Mountain Road. Frank likes to warm up for 20 miles on the flats before he hits the hills. Round trips are 65 to 70 miles on his Cannondale Caad 8 bike.

No comments: