Sunday, March 22, 2009

San Dimas Stage Race - Stories

I have been under the weather this weekend and did not get out to cover the two additional stages of the 2009 San Dimas Stage Race. No race. No riding. Plus Rain. This weekend has been a bit of a bust.

Amid the backdrop of the cyclists daring to face the mountain on their wheels, a few interesting stories emerged on Friday along with the sun.

A couple of business clad spectators seated on the guard rail at the bottom of the Monroe Truck Trail rode the mountain monthly. I hope to see them in their Sprague Ready Mix jerseys some time soon.

Jason of bicyclefriends in his green Canidae jersey was spotted riding down. I shouted but he didn't stop. Could I have been mistaken?

Dennis a regular who walks his dog every day up the mountain stopped and chatted. His partner was left at home as the loud speakers used by the announcers frightens him. Dennis caught sight of the Nikon D80 slung around my neck. He worked for the company and pointed out the fact the old cameras are worth something now.

Marianne a recent psychology graduate of Berkeley wrote for the upcoming Women's Cycling Magazine. The site launches on March 23, 2009. She was pleasant company on a hot afternoon hike.

Suzy Degazon was a world class ultra triathlete. Her impressive array of accomplishes paled to her warm personality. The 3.8 mile race was a bit too short for her style. She preferred a 300 mile bike ride!

Some folks commuted up the mountain during the race on their bikes. We fondly call them tourists on the race day. Some commanded more attention than others. Here was Mike S.

One never knows who you might meet during the race. In the afternoon as we followed the sun to catch the riders in good light.

There was a tent, with table and chair manned by an enigmatic gentleman named Eric. It turns out he was a South Bay Wheelman who worked on the Manhattan Grand Prix Race and was the course director for Amgen Tour of California. He represented USA Cycling during SDSR and was noting which racers crossed the center line which is a 30 second violation.

Bill noticed Eric's Canon Powershot G10 on the table. Eric asked how Bill and I could get along since Bill carried his Canon EOS Mark 5D and I was toting the Nikon D80, I laughed. The answer: both the cameras were Bill's.

At the end of the day Matt and Bill met, talked about paper routes, growing up in Glendora and living on Lemon Avenue. It was a long day of standing, hiking, watching great cycling, and meeting new cycling friends. Once I am recovered, I am ready for my turn on the wheels.