Saturday, February 28, 2009

Physics

Saturday, February 28, 2009.

While some parts of the US are enjoying winter



Life on Glendora Mountain Road quickly warmed up to the high 80s low 90s.

.

The warm weather brought out a different group of folks today. The encouragers were out with compliments of "looking strong", "nice job" or "good work". Welcomed praise from other cycling kinsmen.

I stopped at the first saddle, a wall at mile marker 9.49 made a comfortable resting place. A parade of twenty or more motorcycles and autos zipped by at speeds of 50 mph. The impatience was apparent as vehicles passed slightly slower roadsters at insane speeds. The sideline was a safe refuge from the mania.

John the mountain biker who coined the phrase "Road Tech Warriors" caught up with me and we chatted about careers, jury service and commuting. The surprise was the scene at the maintenance shed. John smartly kept on trucking.

Physics Lesson 101: When two objects try to occupy the same space at the same time molecules tend to collide. The auto was a BMW 325. picture removed 09/13/2010.

The motorcycle was a Triumph Daytona 675



close up:



Man down.



When the paramedics rolled the injured rider on his side to slide the basket under him he saw the carnage of his bike. He lamented the condition of his bike.

On the move



Ready for lift off.



With the excitement of the circus, I needed to move on and the rolling hills beyond the fork called my name. I made it to the Point of No Return (fork plus four). Glendora Ridge Road angles up the mountain on the right side of the photo. This is the bottom of "the wall" miles 5-8 on the way to Baldy Village.



The hawks were swirling overhead. I noticed that a butterfly flitted beside me shielded by my shape from direct wind. However the orange colored flutterer just had to show me up, passing me by in front of my nose!

Clouds, relatively calm road traffic, passed one more road accident with motorcycles. Three highway patrol cars were on scene.



It was an eventful day on the road. Life is good when everyone obeys centerline rules.