Thursday, December 27, 2012

On the Road 12/20 & 12/25

Saturday morning. Started the ride after 9:30 am waiting for the temperature to warm up. Bill and I caught up with Matt who was doing intervals on the 8% grade by the ranger station. We rode together for the next four miles. Near the new section of road about half way to the shed I pushed ahead. The distance to the shed seemed mentally longer as I baby the knee in order to avoid pain. I picked up the pace to see if I can make the shed first.  Everyone rendezvoused at the shed for a breather. On the way down we checked out the latest over the side crash site at mile marker 7.0. Two crashes this month at the same location. One on 12/4 the other 12/20. As we were ready to head down, Ken stopped for a moment on his way up.  A few seconds of how are you before his partner showed up and Ken was on the move again. A stop at Newman's to take in the view, the clouds and the water level of the reservoir. We were near the first hair pin curve when I spotted John, who we haven't seen in a year and a half. We chatted with John to catch up with all his circumstances. New abode, new job, and new pounds to loose. John needed the mountain and its good to have him back.

Christmas Day Ride. Only the hard core were out on the road. Bill made it to Newman's. I went to the shed. It was a four meal day and I had calories to burn. Got a flat on the back tire at Colby. Called for rescue.

No comments: